The path “Palazzina Management” is organized within the homonymous building. Used as originally to house the executive offices of the mining company and the home of the family Sanna, it was intended undergone a complete administrative activity. On the inside you can live again, thanks to careful reconstruction of the original environment, the glories of the nineteenth-century bourgeoisie and, in the attic room, the modest servants’ living conditions. Do not miss a visit to the Blue Room, whose name is due to the decorations which completely cover the walls and the vault, which has always been the flagship of the building, such as the reception room before and as a meeting room and representation then. Duration 1 hour.
Designed and built by Giovanni Antonio Sanna between 1870 and 1877. The building management is in the village of Gennas in the open space called “smoothing” for the construction preparations that have literally paved the original hill. The house was the heart of the management of mining operations Montevecchio button and according to the original idea of GA Sanna was supposed to house the administrative offices, their homes and a small church.
Actually Sanna, whose death dates back to 1875 (two years before the completion of the work), it will never inhabit.
Initially the building housed the offices on the ground floor, the store on the first floor, the home of the director of the second, and, in the attic, the servants’ living quarters.
Over the years, the house, lost his housing function and was almost entirely used to house offices. During this operation of ridestinazione of use many of mural paintings have been covered dall’imbiancatura lime, and brought to light thanks to the last recovery interventions.
Built on a rectangular plan, the building, of classical and neo-Renaissance forms, spread over three floors around a large central cloister, which overlooks along three sides, a portico with cross vaults decorated with grotesque motifs. Behind the main entrance is the small church dedicated to Saint Barbara, patron saint of miners.
A painstaking restoration work has brought to light the splendor in which the Sanna family lived at the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. A mixture of styles, from Empire to Louis Philippe, through Liberty and Revival, reflects the taste that in the late nineteenth century, characterized the era of industrialization and its new emerging class, a bourgeoisie that showed a strong desire to return to past and, at the same time, he looked carefully at the renewal and technological innovation.
It is in fact the time of the return to the classic, but also the input stage of the new design, halfway between art and industry.
THE BLUE ROOM
is the true protagonist of the building: intended for official meetings and receptions, owes its name to the decorations which completely cover the walls and the ceiling.
There lies one of the many fireplaces of the apartment, around which develops a rich living room armchairs, couches and gilded mirrors that together with a majestic grand piano decorates the spacious dining room, once the scene of parties and musical evenings.
Contrary to what happened in the rest of the building, totally transformed by the administrative authorities of the mine, the room was kept intact in its majesty as a local management and representation.
Simply a flight of stairs to fade away the bourgeois splendor and make room in the attic, with more modest environments.
A large kitchen, characterized by numerous pots and copper utensils hanging on the walls, the small dining room and the bedrooms, accompanied by simple and functional furniture; they were the spaces in which he moved the servants, who worked and lived in direction.
Despite the apparent gap between the two planes, the conditions of the servants’ life, however modest, appear significantly better than those offered to the workers of the mine.
ITEMS YOU ARE HISTORY
result of Eng donation. Giovanni Antonio Castoldi (great grandson of Eng. Alberto Castoldi), born in Chile, who lives in Madrid and European space Ente official, the collection is actually a collection of heterogeneous objects that belonged to ‘Ing. Alberto Castoldi and consists of work tools, travel goods, photographs, paintings and drawings.
Taken together, however, represent an important witness to the history of Montevecchio because much of the work tools have been used by the Castoldi in the period of studies in Germany before becoming director of the mine in 1877, while others (like the pieces of the deputy Castoldi) testify to his political involvement, others are the everyday objects (from travel to photo album set) that refer to the daily life of the mine director (his travels, social relations). The exhibition is included in the guided tour of the Directorate building.
Hotel La Caletta
Via Amerigo Vespucci, 66
09031 Torre dei Corsari
ARBUS – (Sud Sardegna)
Tel: +39 070 977033
La Valle Verde
Viale di Vittorio, 27/4,
PART. IVA / C.F. 01473660924
Tel.: +39 070 977 033 / 977133